ABOUT GIFTED EDUCATION...
- All children have the right to progress at an academically appropriate level of challenge.
- Kansas is one of a few states that provides a mandate to identify and provide services to gifted children in Kindergarten through 12th grade under the umbrella of special education.
- Without proper identification and appropriate services gifted children are at a great risk for failing to meet their potential.
- Gifted education is not about status, it is about meeting student needs.
- Advanced learners are found in all cultures, ethnic backgrounds and socioeconomic groups.
- Gifted learners also have learning and physical disabilities. These "twice-exceptional" students often go undetected in regular classrooms, because their disability and gifts mask each other; making them appear "average."
- Most gifted learners spend over 80% of their school day in the regular classroom, but 61% of their teachers have no training in gifted interventions and needs.
BENEFITS OF KGTC MEMBERSHIP